Thursday, September 17, 2009

I did this and this and this with my Crafternoon



Yesterday at the library I turned the above into the below. It's a secret felt project that I'm working on for a certain niece or nephew coming any day now! And the best part is that this felt is made of 100% recycled pop cans. or bottles. I can't remember which.


And then those piles showed up here:



Here's another detail of the same drawing (which is NOT done):


Sort of strange. I have picked up this odd habit of working large (24" x 36"), starting in one corner, working small and going where the wind takes me - so to speak. So this is sort of a stream of consciousness piece. I find such satisfaction in not planning any composition. It's so luxurious in fact that I feel like I'm cheating. I do look at the whole puzzle often to see how it flows together, but without a plan... does it look like One Hot Mess? That is not a rhetorical question, so for those of you who'd like to leave a comment, please do.

Yesterday afternoon was my first Crafternoon, and overall I'd say it was nice. I was nervous because I definitely had to fight off feelings of "wow, I really should be using this time to go grocery shopping" and "eight hours a week? maybe I bit off more than I can chew" and "is my art even worth eight hours worth of babysitter money or am I being a spoiled housewife?" ew, that last one is really ugly when I say it out loud like that. But I'm stickin' with it kiddos, and I'll be eight hours closer to my dream of having a show and maybe an etsy store -- and even taking commissions. (Anybody, anybody?)

Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. You are an awsome inspiration to me!!! I am so proud of you for creating some much needed, welldeserved, and beautifully used time for YOU....I type this with one hand as I nurse my sweet Eli...hence the inspiration part of this comment. COME DO A SHOW IN PORTLAND!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait for the mystery felt project to be unveiled. Incidentally, I've been dreaming of making felt toys lately...all part of the nesting hormone Im sure!
    Just finished sewing up a baby grab ball using instructions online whilst taking breaks to watch birth videos on Youtube...in otherwords, bawling my eyes out whilst sewing. LOL

    ReplyDelete