Friday, November 6, 2009

This week has aged me

I think I have been holding my breath and pursing my lips now for a solid three days. You know, parenting teaches you many things. Namely: don't get too cocky. I was rocking Anabelle and giving her a bottle four nights ago thinking, I've got this in the bag. Wake up at 7am, nap from noon to 2 or so, dinner at 6, bath every other night, bedtime at 7pm. Chugga chugga chugga -- all was running like a well-oiled machine.

Then. BAM.

Front molars have to knock down my nice, tidy schedule's door and ruin it all. All of a sudden Anabelle is falling asleep at 10am in her stroller and car seat and it's bye bye to nap time. There's screaming around and during all times of sleep. The tylenol and motrin fairy has come to visit many a night this week.

I feel fried. But no rest for the weary because Anahi, the new babysitter, cancelled today. She's sick, so I told her to rest, feel better and we'll talk next week. I'm sorry for her, I really am. Oh man, but since I'm me and only in my own shoes, I feel really really sorry for myself.

I feel old today. Don't roll your eyes, I know, I'm only 31. But feeling bone tired really takes the wind out of a gal's sails, takes the "care" and the "free" out of "carefree."

Kristin, my sister, gave me the book "Buddhism for Mothers" by Sarah Napthali, and I think I need to really read it. (Don't you wish you could read, sleep and watch tv all at the same time?) Flipping through the book, I found this poem by a Buddhist mother, and it resonated with me on a very deep level:

...she fights the shame
Of a temper at small infractions
By her children (thank god for them)
Never knew such temper simmered
Aching to be lost.
She sinks into memories and dreams
Folding corners of herself down
Like a neat napkin
Hiding the stains, the dirt
Of her most wonderous gypsy self
So that this life - this perfectly happy life -
Might proceed without incident
Without tragedy.
She who writes this song to herself
Sings now for the selves
That have no place to be sung.

Ok, Mothers. Unite. Has anybody else found refuge in daydreams? I often think of my old apartment on Fern Court in Old Town, Chicago. My crummy little apartment (with its teeny tiny bedroom and broken linoleum floors) that I made my own and fell madly in love with. Fern Court. One tiny block long, an alley really, with the Buddhist temple and the dog park. In the fall the leaves turned yellow and fell in windswept piles around the curbs. Overhead, St. Michael's clock lit up white like a full moon every night. I walked to work, fall, winter, spring and summer. I trudged through the snow and wind, wet hair tucked into my hat. I meandered home at the end of the day, always stopping into Anthropologie for a look. I remember the day it snowed and snowed, and I took Buzz out for a romp in it when I got home. He bounded happily around for an hour, and we both went home tired and happy.

There are times (like these) that life seems to go by in the blink of an eye. I suppose those are the times that make me feel old. Like I'm looking back on my life even as I live it. There's a delicate balance then, isn't there, between enjoying the present, looking forward to the future and reminiscing over the past.


6 comments:

  1. I was nodding my head the whole time I was reading your post. When the kids are off of their wonderful schedule not only does it screw them up but us too. I feel your pain in being so tired and I wish we lived right next door to each other so we could get the kids together and wear them out, so they would take great naps and give us a break. That was a really nice poem.

    I remember your little place in Old Town. It was so cozy and close to everything. What a good memory.

    Dave and I were just talking about what it was like without a baby and just getting George and living in our old apartment. It seems like decades ago, but at the same time it feels like it all happened yesterday. Time really flies, but it is wonderful to reminisce over the past and to look forward to all the new things to come in the future.

    Miss you girl and hopefully Anabelle's teeth will hurry up and come in, so you all can get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again,

    I came looking to see your latest work and got distracted by the conversation. I'm a mother of three girls who are now 13, 13 and 9. Life does go by quickly. Past, present and future seem more fluid with each passing year.

    I used to think being a mother of three babies felt a lot like the movie "Groundhogs Day". Each morning felt just like the last---long nights, tired mornings, diapers, breakfast, dishes, laundry, groceries, nap, dinner, dishes, bed..no sleep...bright and early...breakfast, diapers, bottles, breakfast, dishes, etc. It is quite isolating even in a place bustling with life and vitality. But time does shift things along the way. Teething changes into a mad dash to catch the school bus, carpooling to lessons, riding bicycles with your daughter and before you know it that shifts and disappears too.

    Now I send my oldest twin daughters off to middle school, and my youngest to fourth grade. They are all doing well, seem like happy kids, and only _I_ can remember those early years. Sometimes I sit back and tell them about their first years and they have no recollection and it feels more like being a storyteller than a trip through memory lane.

    I don't know what that means exactly. I guess it means to me that those baby years are your years to remember. Your failings, successes, loneliness, joy, will be more seared in your memory than your daughters so enjoy..take trips to Moab that mess up her schedule, read a good book, draw pictures, take lots of pictures, and enjoy daydreaming--guilt free!

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lara,
    THANK YOU. what a wonderful wonderful note you wrote to me. i will take your advice and think of it often. especially the "take trips that mess up her schedule" part. because life isn't just one straight line, is it. it's more like a curly, curvy, knotty lane sometimes. it's easy to forget that...
    anyway, thanks again, and thank you for coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...thank you..Yes life is not a straight line, and I've yet to find a single path.

    It may not be baby book advice but those babies are pretty resilient to day trips and weekend excursion. Mine just bobbed along in car seats, back packs, and strollers and fell asleep and ate along the way. I just considered it "sensory stimulation".

    They turned out just fine, and love to go on road trips still.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting here speechless with a lump in my throat...wishing I had something to add to the poetry of your honesty...but instead I'm speechless. I love you girlfriend and feel you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Rach. That means a lot. x

    ReplyDelete