Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Henna

Hi again. I'm back to show you the latest! This is it:


I was thinking this afternoon about my high school art teacher telling us, a class of 16 year olds, that we should stay away from having a style so early on in life. Don't pigeon hole ourselves, try new things, new techniques, new mediums. Well, now I'm 31 years old, and I find myself thinking "I can't help what comes out." I do what feels right.

Alex von Jawlensky (whoever that is) was quoted in a magazine years ago; I tore out the quote and it's crumpled in my drawer here: "The artist expresses only what he has within himself, not what he sees with his eyes." Part of me wants to respond "well, duh." and the other part thinks about it more thoughtfully - "well isn't that true. isn't that where an artist's style really comes from." What I mean to say is that when I sit down to draw an orchid, I don't think "how can I make this look like I did it?" What I paint and draw just ends up looking that way because that's the way I do it.

Now. That said. How do you keep out of an art rut? I mean, am I drawing sun rays because that's what's inside me or am I just out of fresh ideas?

Those are my thoughts. I like these thoughts. They are all part of the journey. And I'd like to thank you, Karen, so much for letting me do this piece for you. It was an honor! :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the piece...but honestly, love your thoughts even more...thank you. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your artwork, and can definately see that youre being true to yourself by producing work that is uniquely you. As long as you are loyal to yourself, respectful towards your artistic vision by celebrating it in your artwork, then youll do great.
    Thanks for such a thoughtful comment on my blog by the way. It made my day!

    xxKhairun

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago I was in LA and found an incredible artist who does these really intense colourful portraits of Hip Hop artist. Wow. These dogs brought back the same feeling.

    Lets talk VBAC. Want to? Email me ashley.thalman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete